Monday, February 2, 2015

Art at FIT

1. Where is this artwork? What kind of artworks were around this piece?
This artwork was exhibited in The Musem of FIT. Of the various displays, this outfit attracted my attention the most.The outfit was a parody of the Hermes design. Since it was a parody, it was displayed along with other counterfeits and parodies. To the left of this artwork, there was another parodic design, the "What about Yves" T-shirt, which was an imitation of the brand Yves Saint Laurent. To the right of the "Homies" design was the Moschino Ensemble, a reinterpretation of the McDonald's logo by Jeremy Scott.

2. What about this piece drew your attention? Does it remind you of something else?
The logo of the outfit was what drew my attention. I've seen the Hermes logo many times, but that was my first time seeing the parody version of it. The two logos used the same font and size, the only difference is that the parody replaced the famous Hermes carriage attached to a horse with a truck on hydraulics. Since it's so similar to the Hermes logo, this piece of artwork has raised many debates among lawyers and scholars regarding its trademark infringement. What I found fascinating is that despite the ongoing debates and criticisms, parodic and even counterfeit designs are still popular among consumers and considered as a form of art.

3. What do you know about the artwork or artist?
This outfit was designed by Brain Lichtenberg in 2014, and it is made out of cotton, polyester, and rubber. Aside from that, there wasn't much information on the artwork.
Photography wasn't allowed in the museum, so I took home two brochures.

7 comments:

  1. Hi deer, 10/10 people will wear outfit. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I find it interesting that you found/ thought of a connection to politics with debates and arguments. I agree that there are so many brands that are "copied" yet people still buy them... I think it's because looks (art) can deceive... :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's actually interesting how counterfeit fashion is still considered as artwork. But I guess I can understand why since it's about how well you can recreate an object. This involves so much detailed observation and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice artwork, the color is just wow. My eyes but I really like how you compared what you know about the original work to this parody/imitation because it is interesting how although to an extend, this is a work of copyright it is still a style of art. Good choice and good observations, makes me wonder if those copy of gucci and pradas that are sold in Chinatown worth it since they to an extent could be art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does the word Homie mean anything? Or is it just there

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I, myself, have ever really seen parodies of clothing depicted as artwork before but I think that's actually an interesting idea. It's also interesting that so much controversy can surround something like this, but I suppose I see why it could be argued that it was trademark infringement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this was really interesting because I liked how it kind of relates to the fashion from the past in the late 20th century where everyone wear's matching color pants and shirts/sweaters. I also like all pieces of clothing has a brand name on it which is Homies and the font reminds me of aero postale or abercrombie and fitch (Idk how to spell it). hehe. Really interesting fashion though.

    ReplyDelete