Sunday, December 21, 2014

Typography

1.
1. I believe this is modern typeface, since there is a vertical stress in the letter "O", and also a drastic thick/thin transition of the strokes.
2. This is found on my phone case.
3. I find the typeface really appropriate for its purpose here because it makes the logo neat and legible.

2.
1. I believe this is sans serif, since the letters do not have the small projecting features at the end of each stroke.
2. This is found on my sweater.
3. I believe it is a really good idea to use sans serif here because sans serif makes the logo really simple and noticeable. The elongated "serif-less" letters really stand out against the plain background and easily draws the customers' attention to them.

3.
1. This is decorative typeface, since the letters are more elaborate and have designs on them.
2. This is found on my friend's hoodie.
3. I think it is really creative to use decorative typeface here because by incorporating text within the letters, the goal/purpose of the organization can be expressed just from the logo alone. The decorative font also adds to the playfulness to the logo, making it appealing.

4.
1. I believe this is script typeface.
2. This is found in Bloomingdale's.
3. I believe it's really creative to use script here because it really brings out the elegant feel of the accessories section. 

5. 
                      
1. I believe this is slab serif, since there is little to no transition between strokes and also the serifs on the lowercase letters are very thick.
2. This is found on Cindy's sweater. 
3. I think it's a really good idea to use slab serif here because it's straightforward and not too elaborate.

6. 
                     

1. I believe this is oldstyle typeface, since the serifs on lowercase letters are slanted.
2. This is found on the Merriam Webster's dictionary.
3. I think it's appropriate to use oldstyle here just because I can't picture a dictionary using decorative or script as its logo...

5 comments:

  1. I just googled this, but I also think that oldstyle matches m-w because the company has been around for more than 150 years. Using oldstyle also creates a sort of subtle "ancientness" to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi deer, I really like the CPC one. It's cute. Out of the 6 fonts I like your decorative the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overall I agreed with your answers with each typeface you chose. You chose a variety of designs which is good because it means that you are aware of the different type around you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would add that the script typeface also convey the feeling that clothing that are made and sold at bloomingdale's is made with a personal touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the Coach one because like you said it's neat and legible. But I think it is interesting to see how many companies selling modern products are using modern type front.

    ReplyDelete